Saturday 11 October 2014

Scents of food and home meals




photo credit:http://hypelifemagazine.com


 Everyone likes to feel at home.That warm cozy feeling and certain odors reminds everyone of a happy place, somewhere  that makes you feel relaxed and warm on the inside.I like to smell fruit trees and comfort foods.Living in Jamaica gives me an abundance of fresh organic fruits and foods to choose from, that are good for the mind and body.
The smell of mangoes reminds me of when I was a child and in the summer time I use to go find mangoes in dense bushes.Nothing is more rewarding than finding fresh,juicy mangoes with that honey- like sweet flesh.The coolest thing about this activity is that you get to eat the mangoes right there with your friends and its funny to see everyone looking all-yellow and juicy on their clothes because the mangoes were so good!
Coffee is one of my favorite scents that gives me a grounded feeling.It makes me feel snuggled especially premier Jamaican coffee like Mountain peak, Roman, and blue mountain coffee.When I drink it I  close my eyes and  I can see the green mountains, the dew on the grass, the fresh ripe and green coffee berries, and the birds nesting.Can you?
Every time I speak about the smell of hot chocolate, nothing else makes me happier than hearing other people say how good it makes them feel too.Chocolate is sweet and velvety and brings about that feeling of love.Being at home with the family on a cold winter night or chilly day for us in the Caribbean, sipping on a hot cup of hot chocolate surpasses going to the movies or shopping.Being around family is a comforting experience especially during the holidays like Christmas or Hanukkah.
Sweet treats are glorious gifts and no one makes delicious pastries like grandma.When ever I smell cakes, puddings, and pies it takes me down memory lane, to when I was a child and grandma made sweet potato pudding with raisins, fresh coconut milk, brown sugar and the perfect blend of spices.Its absolute pleasure when that pudding is baked, because its sweet and warm and its an explosion of flavors down to the very last bite.
I am happy to cherish these memories because its the simple things that matter.Certain scents take me places and brings about a good kind of feeling that reminds me of home with the family.The good thing about scents is that they are free and they attract  no cost to you and certainly no cost for me!

Let me hear about the scents you like and how they make you feel.


No comments:

Post a Comment